Sunbury is a fast growing satellite ‘city’ just north of Melbourne. Sunbury came to life with the Tullamarine Airport construction in the early 70’s. Sunbury, while being dominated with all of the big retail brands and shopping centres, the ‘town’ factor remains intact. The ‘village green’ will be a high point for any visitor.
Sunbury was first settled in 1836, by George Evans and William Jackson. It was Jackson and his brother, Samuel, who named the township Sunbury, after Sunbury-on-Thames, when it was established in 1857
Sunbury's connection with the history and development of Victoria is influential because of its most famous and powerful citizen, "Big" Clarke. Clarke's role as one of the biggest squatters in the colony and his power and position within the Victorian Legislative Council were critical in the early days of Victoria. "Big" Clarke as a member of the Victorian 'bunyip aristocracy' also frustrated any legislative reforms to opening the lands to small farm selections. Melbourne Punch depicted Clarke in anti-squatter cartoons, such as "The man in Possession" In 1859, "Big" The Clarke's also had a connection to the Kelly Gang story via their police connection with Supt Hare.
The Congregational Churches are all represented in Sunbury. The Anglican with village green backdrop is quite a nice and old building. The Catholic likewise is an old building. The United is also quite historic.