Woodend is about halfway from Melbourne to Kyneton. Kyneton is still very much a country town, Woodend by contrast is in danger of becoming a dormitory suburb of Melbourne, and sadly seems to be losing the battle to retain the importance of heritage factors. Woodend is two part town. The shopping centre bit and the main street. There is a lot going for the town; wide open Main Street and the memorial clock.
Woodend was first surveyed in 1836 by Major Thomas Mitchell, who opened it up for settlement. When gold was discovered in the area (towards Bendigo and Ballarat), Woodend became the main thoroughfare through the Black Forest, and accommodated many gold-diggers and their families. Woodend Post Office opened on 20 July 1854, closed in December of that year, and then reopened in the township on 1 November 1856.
Woodend has few historical buildings. Entering Woodend from Melbourne, most of the shops and eateries are located either side of the main High Street, with the clock tower on the right hand side of the road. The Holgate Brewhouse operates in the century-old Keatings Hotel. Built in 1897.
There is no readily identified historical society or museum. But they need it.
When visiting Woodend be sure to check out the Anglican Church and the two pubs.