Yallourn North is the surviving town out of the Yallourn's. Yallourn itself being swallowed up by the open cut coal mine. Yallourn was a pretty manicured township built especially for the coal mine, but had actually built over a rich vein of coal. Yallourn North predates Yallourn and is a town in the ordinary sense.
The town contains many churches, including the only Serbian Orthodox Church and Mosque in the region. The Yallourn Post Office opened on 3 September 1917 as Brown Coal Mine and was renamed Yallourn North in 1947.
The Yallourn Power Station is a complex of six brown coal fuelled power stations built progressively from the 1920s to the 1960s. With the company town of Yallourn located to the south west. Today only the 1,450 MW Yallourn W plant remains, the third largest power station in Victoria which supplies 22% of state's electricity and 8% of National Electricity Market needs. The adjacent open Yallourn brown coal mine is the largest open cut coalmine in Australia, with reserves to meet the projected needs of the power station to 2032.
The museum determines Yallourn North is an important visit destination.