LYTTELTON

Post earthquake comment is in red.

This place is another wonder in the townscapes of New Zealand. Lyttelton ostensibly is a suburb of Christchurch but in truth is in a totally different suburban space. Lyttelton is a mariner township with its roots clearly on display where as Christchurch some 2kms through a tunnel is a millennium away. Before the tunnel Lyttelton was a long and inconvenient distance. After the tunnel was built which was a commercial necessity, Lyttelton became an outer suburb of Christchurch. That said, Lyttelton still seems to be very independent from Christchurch. Since the Feb 2011 the town is now very dependent on Christchurch and the regional plan to rebuild. Our observation seems Lyttelton is out of sight and is lagging  support. The town is in bad shape and appears very sad.

Banks Peninsula on which Littleton I sited was first sighted by Europeans on 16 February 1770 from the Endeavour during James Cook's first voyage to New Zealand. Originally the Harbour was called Cook's mistake by one of the earliest European visitors.

Lyttelton is now a busy port town and is the third busiest after Auckland and Tauranga. The majority of the South island commercial freight activities are through this historic port.

Lyttelton is an ‘old’ community and is on display with the number of hotels that continue to trade. Now gone Closed??gone  gone Closed ?? Now gone

Lyttelton Harbour is the northern major sea inlet on Banks Peninsula, the one prominent feature on the coast of Canterbury, New Zealand. Banks Peninsula was once a volcanic island and Lyttelton Harbour the sea-filled crater of a volcano that erupted 11 million years ago.

Lyttelton today. is devastating.

The harbour is now an inlet on the northwestern side of Banks Peninsula, extending 18 km inland from the southern end of Pegasus Bay. It is surrounded by steep hills formed from the sides of an extinct volcanic crater, which rise to a height of 500 m.

Lyttelton was formerly called Port Cooper and Port Victoria. It was the original settlement in the district (1850). The name Lyttelton was given to it in honour of George William Lyttelton of the Canterbury Association, which had led the colonisation of the area.

The churches are all historic.Now gonegoneand gone  Closed until rebuild.

The museum Still here opens with restricted hours, but one suspect will give great insight into Lyttelton’s early years. Now gone Still here just.

The Lyttelton War Memorial is now an isolated monument given the construction of the tunnel.  The cenotaph is now somewhat isolated from the town. Awaiting rebuild.

When in Lyttelton allow a minimum of two days and include the ferry trip to Diamond Bay. In the interim be sure to visit the Time Drop on the hill. Now gone

 

 

Fireplace   Dump Station
General Store Bottled Gas
Internet   Caravan
Camping   4WD
Kitchen Facilities Disabled access
Laundry Toilets
Campervans Accommodation
Meals   Airport
Pets Allowed Boat Ramp
Telephone Picnic Area
Roadside Rest Area Electricity
Scenic Swimming
Tap water   Thermal Area
Stream Water   Walking tracks
Rotary Club Lions Club
Gymnasium   Gardens
Winery Whitewater Rafting
Surfing   Skydiving
Skiing   Scenic Flights
Postal Service Police
Movie Location   Mountain Biking
Kayaking Jet Boating
Information Hospital
Hang Gliding Golf Course