Bowraville is a short drive from Nambucca Heads, which means there is no excuse not to visit this great little heritage town. Bowraville has two really great museums that are first class, plus the whole town has got behind the ‘history’ concept.
The word Bowra comes from the Gumbaynggirr place name, Bawrrung, which possibly means cabbage tree. Other definitions given have been 'bullrout fish', 'scrub turkey' or 'bald head'. Originally named Bowra, the ville was added to the name in the 1870s to avoid confusion with the Southern Highlands town of Bowral.
The town invites some tourists with such things as a folk museum, a war museum, a historic theatre, and other historic features. It also invites new residents with its scenic beauty and idyllic lifestyle. The Bowraville Jockey Club holds regular race meetings, and this also invites visitors from neighbouring towns and afar.
The town was gazetted in 1870 and Bowraville Post Office opened on 1 August 1870, and became the main centre of the Nambucca Valley. Its early industries were mainly timber and dairy, and the town eventually came to inherit the Nambucca Shire Council chambers. From about the 1960s, however, Bowraville began to decline in popularity and wealth.